Thursday, November 6, 2008

9 Days Old

Mommy holding Reid for the 1st time; 9 days old


Reid couldn't figure out what was going on at first.


This hat is a newborn size. It swallows his entire head.


Rylee pulled out her IV again, so we got a new one... 4th time!


She slept through all the excitement of Mommy holding brother.

Pappie and Reid

Pappie and Rylee



Today was a very exciting day! I called the hospital at 4:00 this morning, like I usually do, and they told me that Reid had gained weight. He now weighs 3 lbs 5 oz, which is enough for me to hold. I could hardly contain myself. They also told me Rylee had started having some residual, but not to be worried since they increased her feedings a good bit yesterday. Usually I don't wake Mom up to give her updates, but I did this morning!!! I told her I was going to hold Reid today.

So after we got up and dressed, we headed to the hospital. On the way out, one of the other mothers told Mom that our babies had been moved. This is a good step. They were on the outside aisle, which is for the sickest babies. That way if the nurses and Drs need to get to them, they can quick. Both Reid and Rylee were moved all the way inside the aisle, and they are now beside each other. You can stand at one bed, and see what the other is doing. That makes it a lot easier on us.

When we got there, I immediately asked the nurse if I could hold Reid. He pulled his chart and said SURE! They pulled a rocking chair over for me, wrapped him up in two blankets, and put him in my arms. We put a newborn hat on him and it was HUGE! It would have fit over his entire head. Words will never be able to describe the feeling of holding that tiny baby for the 1st time. He is so light and fragile with all his tubes and wires. He was wide awake, and just looked all around. He stared at me for a while, and I just talked and talked. I probably held him for 15 minutes. He can't be out very long, because he can't keep his temperature up on his own yet. Mom cried, and I just sat there staring at him. We tried to video it, but for some reason it didn't come out.

Rylee slept through the whole thing, and had a small spell where she forgot to breathe. We think she was jealous and just needed to get our attention. I am hoping we will get to hold her for the first time tomorrow or Saturday, so her Daddy can be here. I tried to get him to come today, but he said he would wait until tomorrow. Rylee did pull out her IV this morning, and they had to start it again in her head. I'm about sick of this. They did tell me they are lowering her IV intake, so maybe she won't need it much longer. She was increased to 14 cc feedings today, which is 1 cc away from 1/2 ounce. GO RYLEE!!!!!

Reid is up to 10.4 cc feedings, and tolerating them well. Pray that they both keep tolerating increased feedings, and gaining weight. I can see such a difference in 9 days that it is unreal. I hope and pray we continue to make this progress!!!!

Their Daddy comes tomorrow and we are SO excited! We also have lots of company coming Saturday. My sister and niece have offered to come Sunday and stay until Tuesday. That will give Mom a chance to go to work a few days. I can start driving again Tuesday, but will probably still need a little help with things, so I think Mom will come back. Their Pappie has been reading to them every night, and I know she is going to have a very hard time leaving tomorrow. We will all miss her so much!

I have been writing these blogs at night after a busy, long day, so please overlook any spelling mistakes. I go back and read the blogs and I'm embarassed that I'm a teacher.

Please continue to pray for us. That is what is getting us through each day.

We love you all,
Jessica, Reid, and Rylee

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH, WHAT A WONDERTIME PRAISE TO OUR LORD FOR THE GIFT MOST MOTHERS TAKE FOR GRANTED, TO BE ABLE TO HOLD REID FOR THE FIRST TIME AND KNOW GOD GAVE YOU THIS LITTLE MIRACLE. I FELT A LITTLE OF YOUR EXITEMENT AS A READ THOSE SWEET WORDS OF YOURS. THANKYOU FOR GIVING YOUR ENERGY TO ALL OF US SO WE CAN BE APART OF THIS SPECIAL TIME. LOVE AND MANY MORE OF GOD'S BLESSINGS TO YOU, BRENT, RYLEE, AND REID. MARTHA

Janet Horne said...

Jess I can't get the smile off my face or the happy tears to stop. You and reid are the most beautiful thing i have ever seen. Thank you for making my day. Happy prayers today! Rylee's turn next! We love ya'll and pray without ceasing for all 4 of you. Love you bunches, Janet,Bobby,Emily,and Lee

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for ya'll. That is amazing. I know you will be excited when you can hold Rylee! They are gorgeous! As I was reading the blog I could read your excitment. I can't wait to see them! Love you much! We will continue to pray!

Anonymous said...

Your Mom cried? What a surprise!! ha
You look so GOOD!!!
That picture of you and Reid is priceless.
Rylee is my kind of girl.
I know they can hardly wait to see their Daddy today.
I love them more each time I see them.
Love you lots.
Barbara

Anonymous said...

You look absoulutely beautiful in the picture of you holding your little man!!!!! You are glowing with the look of a very proud mommy!!! I too have tears in my eyes and goose bumps thinking about what you experienced!!! I am so excited for yall!! The priceness looks beautiful too!!!! I love picture of her with her hand by her ear...it is so precious!!!!! And Reid is so handsome!!!! You have two of the most beautiful little miracles!!!! I cant wait to meet them!!!! Blow them a kiss from me!!!! I love yall!!!!!