Friday, November 7, 2008
10 days old
Wow, what a day!!!! Let's see... this morning seems like so long ago. This morning we found out that Rylee weighs enough to be held, but we didn't tell anyone all day. I wanted her Daddy to be the first to hold her, and I wanted to surprise him with that. Even the nurse helped out with the surprise. We planned for her to review Rylee's chart when he got here, then tell him she weighs enough to be held. I think he was a little shocked. I expected him to be a little scared of their tiny bodies, but he wasn't. He took her right from me, sat down and talked away. After we both held the little princess, we both held Reid. Reid is a Daddy's boy, and always has been. When I was pregnant, one of the few times he would kick or move was when he heard Brent. Today was no different. He woke right up for his Daddy. I held him for a few minutes, but didn't want to wear him out. It was great to hold both of them, and even better for their Daddy to be here!
As far as their health, it was a day of progress, except one mild set back. Rylee started having some apnea, where she forgets to breathe. This is exactly what Reid did two days ago. They started her on caffeine, like they did Reid. Mom and I decided that they do everything the other one does, just a few days apart. The caffeine should make her perk up, and hopefully we will only have to do this for 3 days each. They have both been taken off lipids, or extra fat. They are getting enough fat from their milk. They also were both lowered on their IV intake of nutrients. That is a great sign, telling us they are also getting their nutrition from their milk also. We have been warned that when they are taken off the IV completly, they will lose a little weight. That is just their bodies adjusting to getting nutrients from milk only. Only Reid was increased on his feedings today. He is now taking 13.4 cc's, and Rylee is still at 14. He has really caught up with her on everything in the last day or so.
Mom went home today, and I think she dreaded it all day. I already miss her, but at the same time I'm SO happy to have Brent here for a few days. Mae Mae (Margaret), Aunt Brooke, and Uncle Clay are coming for the day tomorrow. We are excited about that. Also Sulee and Brian, friend's from home are coming to visit. It is always nice to see different, yet familiar faces. My sister and niece will be here Sunday, and stay until Tuesday. I think my Dad is coming Sunday.
People I have talked to are amazed at the services and donations that the Ronald McDonald House receives. We are staying here for $8 a night; but you are not expected to pay that. If you can not pay, they have a sponsor box in the office where you choose a sponsor for that week, and write them a Thank You note. It is amazing. For our first 5 nights here I paid $40. Typically a hotel room in this area will run around $90 a night. What a blessing; and on top of that I am 3 minutes from the hospital. We have had different people and organizations bring dinner everynight this week. One night a family that stayed here a year ago brought Spaghetti. The Junior Auxillary of Jackson brings meals twice a week. Wednesday night a group of Senior boys from a High School here in Jackson came and made us pizza. Tonight Bumpers (like Sonic) brought Chicken Dinner Boxes. When we came in tonight, there was a letter telling us that a hair stylist has donated her services for the day Monday for families here. All we had to do was sign the form and put whether we wanted a cut and style, or just a style. I was just thinking today that I am going to have to find someone here in Jackson to do something with this hair. Mom gets nervous when I want something new done, so we won't cut it if it is drastic. I signed up for a cut and style, but I'm scared to change it too much. I am just amazed at the kindness that has poured out through this place.
Below are two videos from today. I messed up on the one with Rylee.... I thought I would be able to rotate the video, so I did it sideways. WRONG! So just tilt your head and enjoy. Their Daddy was saying that he wasn't going to shave until they got out of the hospital, but I talked him out of that tonight. He is no longer scruffy!
We have a busy day tomorrow, so I'm off to bed! Pray for the caffeine to work on both babies, that they will continue to tolerate increased feedings without residual, and continue to gain weight. So many things happen in a day that I forget to post some things. We had praise today, but I didn't post for prayer.... At 10 days old, all premature babies receive a head scan to determine if they have a brain bleed or not. The doctors were not very concerned with this, since I was over 30 weeks (by 1 day). But as their mother, I was worried. They both received the head scan this morning, and they both came back normal. That is a HUGE relief to me. I didn't want everyone to worry about that since they doctors weren't worried, but of course I worried! God is good.... and will continue to be. Thank you so much for the prayers and love!
We love you all!
Brent, Jessica, Reid and Rylee
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





4 comments:
Love the vidoes! I am so glad that Brent got to hold them, That is awesome! I am over at mom's and we just read the update and watched and looked. Me crying happy tears for ya'll. Love you all and take care.
Oh so sweet. Brent is such a good Daddy. Jessica, you are an inspiration.
Love you all.
Barbara
Praise God for the normal head scan. I know the fear that comes with waiting for the result. Lily has had 4 so far and all have been normal. They both are so cute. How wonderful to get to hold. I can't wait to cradle Lily in my arms. We continue to pray for all of you. Holley Dickinson
Jessica,
I am so happy that you and the babies are doing so well. I so enjoy watching the videos and reading the updates. Thank God for small miracles.
Love,
Tammy
Post a Comment