Saturday, November 22, 2008

25 days

Well, it seems like you have a good day followed by a bad. It wasn't terrible or anything, just a little tense. Reid has me a little worried, but hopefully it is over nothing. First off at their 2:00 feeding, the nurse mentioned that Reid had a trace of blood in his stool and she showed it to the Dr. All the Dr. said was to monitor him for the rest of the day, and really didn't seem too concerned. I guess since I'm a Mom, I automatically worry!!!!! Hopefully this is nothing, and everything will continue to be normal.

Then tonight when we went for the 5:00 feeding, the nurse mentioned that he had a breathing spell and had to be stimulated. He has only been off caffeine for a day, and here we go again. And to let you know how serious a "spell" is, every time he has a spell, that means we will be here at least 7 more days. And that is if they don't put him back on caffeine. If they put him back on caffeine, we have to stay on it for 7 days, get back off and go apnea free for 7 more days. So I'm back to the point that I have no clue when we will be home.

It is also a little frustrating when a nurse just "mentions" things in a casual conversation like it is no big deal! These are my children.... blood in stool and breathing spells are major to me. I have to say that some of the nurses we have had in the last 25 days have been WONDERFUL!!!! They talk to the babies and interact with them, and they speak to parents in a concerned voice. I love it when we walk in and find out we have a good nurse for the next 12 hours. (They work 7 to 7). It gives me a sense of calmness when I know the babies have a good and caring nurse. But then there are those days when you are stuck with someone who is just there. They do not interact with the babies, they come in to do the babies care and walk out. If something happens, they just mention it to you and keep going. Yes, that would be the nurse we have had for the past 2 days and will probably have again tomorrow. Usually when you get a nurse, you have them for 2-3 days straight. I'm ready for Monday. Thankfully, we did have a good nurse last night, and I will find out at our 8:00 visit who we have tonight. I don't know what it is, but when you like the nurse, you can sleep better and it is easier to leave them. OK, enough of my venting... sorry!

We started off the morning a little earlier than usual since we are on all bottles. They did pretty good during the night, with the exception of their 5:00 AM feeding. They both only took 7 cc's at that feeding. When I found that out, I knew I wanted to be there for their 8:00 AM feeding. Rylee was VERY hungry because she drank her whole bottle (20 cc's) in less than 10 minutes. I think she would have taken more if it would have been there. Reid was pretty hungry too, because he took 18!!!! They both did well at the 11:00, 2:00, and 5:00 feedings also. Hopefully they will do good tonight. Like I said last night, I hate to leave thinking they might be hungry before the next feeding.

Margaret came for the day and took us to lunch. It is always good to see her and visit. She kept bragging on how much better the babies look. It may be because they don't have feeding tubes anymore, or because they are both starting to fill out some. Either way, it is great to hear how good they look!

Brent's Aunt Kathie also came to visit today. She has a new job, so she hasn't been to see them in a week. I know it has about killed her to be away so long... she came everyday for the first few weeks. She also was amazed at "how much better they look!"

I feel like most of the day was spent at the hospital, but there is no where else I would rather spend my time. I feel like I am bonding with them more since we are holding them every time we go. It is such a great feeling to hold them, and have them look up at you. Speaking of, that is where I'm about to go. It is almost time for our 8:00 feeding, then I will probably crash!

Please pray for Reid every time you think about it. He has always had a tougher time with things than Rylee, but he does things in his own time. Pray that he doesn't have any more breathing spells, and that he won't be put back on caffeine. Also, pray that no more blood is found in his stool. He is doing really good with his feedings, now we just have to get these other things under control. Pray for Rylee, that she continues to do as well as she is. Hopefully she will adjust to the caffeine being taken away without any problems. And last pray for strength for us. Brent and I are pretty tired today, and Mom is at home recovering from her long week.

Brent will go back home tomorrow. I'm not sure when Mom is coming back yet, but I'm guessing it will be Monday. This week will be a little different since everyone is off work. Mom will stay until Thursday, then she will go back home. Brent will be coming back Wednesday and staying until Sunday. After that, we will take it a day at a time. It will depend on the babies, and when we think they will be getting out. I do not mind staying by myself some, but if one baby gets out before the other, someone has to be here to stay at the RMH while I go to the hospital. But we will cross that bridge when we get there.

I know everyone is wanting pictures, but the internet is acting crazy here. I can type without being connected and post when it reconnects. But it has to be connected for a while for me to upload pictures. I'll try my best tomorrow.

With love,
Brent, Jessica, Reid, and Rylee

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jessica,
I hope that Reid has a better night and day tomorrow. Maybe Rylee can kick that nurse or something like that. Talk to her about it.
I know you and Brent are tired and worry only makes it worse.
Our prayers and love are with you every minute of every day.
We love you
Barbara

Dickinson said...

I understand completely about the nurse thing. I had a break down today when I was with Lily. She was moved from level 3 to level 2 and her nurse today was not very compassionate and it made me crazy. I can only hope we have a good one tom. I am the same way about wanting to know everything she does and everything is a big deal to me. Hang in there. We will keep you in our prayers. Holley