Wednesday, November 5, 2008
1 week Old, Yesterday
Yesterday Reid and Rylee turned 1 week old! Reid decided that he wanted to give us a scare so during the night Monday he forgot to breathe 5 times, back to back. About the time they would get him back breathing normal, he would do it again. After the 5th time, they put him on caffeine. Yes, caffeine..... they don't give them a lot. He can still sleep, but it is enough to keep him alert so he will remember to breathe. He only had one spell yesterday, and none during the night last night. I hate the feeling I had when I realized he was having problems. You feel helpless... your child forgets to breathe, and there is nothing you can do to make it better. But after I realized the caffeine was working, things got better. Reid was increased on his feedings yesterday and is tolerating them well! They increased him from 4 cc's to 5.8. They did get 1 cc back of residual last night, but it was milky. He was trying to digest it, he is just having to adjust to that extra 1.8 cc. He didn't gain any weight, but also didn't lose which is great. I look for him to get out from under the Jaundice light today. As you see in the picture above, he has learned how to wiggle out of his sunglasses. He has also learned to roll just enough to get off his spit pad. For one week old, I'm amazed!
Rylee also had an eventful Monday night, but for once, she didn't do it!!!! The IV in her foot was red and swollen, so they took it out and started another one. She has her Mommy's veins, so they couldn't get it going anywhere except her scalp. We have another scalp IV and she HATES it! Her nurse told me yesterday she about had to fight her at one point to keep her hand off it. The nurse tucked Rylee's hands under her blanket and made the response that she wouldn't figure out how to get her hands out, and that was better than restraining her. HA! Within 20 minutes BOTH hands were out, and looking for something to grab. She is a MESS!!!!!! Rylee was also increased on her feedings. She went from 6.8 to 8.6. WHen we get to 15 cc's, that will be 1/2 oz. Rylee celebrated her first week birthday by sucking her thumb.
We have lots of company coming today, so I have to get going! Continue to pray for us, and if I'm not exhausted tonight I'll post again.
I tried to upload vidoes, but that's not working. I'll try again later. I have one of Rylee sucking her thumb. That is why she only has one picture above. I'll try later.
Love,
Jessica, Reid, and Rylee
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




4 comments:
That sounds like awesome progress for Ms Rylie! Hopefully Reid is done forgetting how to breathe...what a scary feeling Jessica!!! Hang in there!
It sounds like you three have had a eventful couple of days!!! I can only imagine that all three of you are exhausted!!! Rylee girl sounds like she is going to be a fiesty one!!! I wonder where she gets that!!!!! (her mommy) Well hang in there yall are doing wonderful!!! I hope to be able to come see yall soon!!!!! I love you!!!!
Oh my goodness. Welcome to motherhood. Never a dull moment.
The babies' hair has a reddish tint in the pictures so hopefully Pappie's genes got through.
They are adorable. I love looking at them.
Hang in there and stay strong.
Love ya
Barbara
It sounds like Reid and Rylee are making great progress. They both are so adorable!!! Rylee sounds like she is going to be a handful. (lol) Reid sounds like he is going to be a laid back little man. We are praying that they continue to make great progress. Let us know if we can do anything to help here!!! Lots of love- Michael,April,Bryan and Clay
Post a Comment