Monday, November 3, 2008

5 Days Old (from Sunday)

I had asked everyone to lift me up yesterday, but selfish me didn't think of my poor husband. I think it was a little harder on him leaving than it was for me, but we got through it! He is home, and at work today. We miss him; and he is ready to come back.

As far as the babies, yesterday seems so long ago. The internet at the RMH was not picking up last night, so I was unable to update. Reid is still having a little residual, but they still don't seem to be too concerned with it. They continue to throw away what is green, keep what is milky, and continue feedings. He is still receiving 2 cc feedings. To let you know how little that is, there are 30 cc's in ONE ounce. So we are a long way from receiving regular feedings. But he is baking progress everyday, and I'm so proud of him.

Rylee was about the same yesterday. They raised her feedings from 3 cc's to 5 cc's, so she is definalty making great progress with feeding. She is still breathing on her own, and loves tummy time. She was so content yesterday when we went to see her.

I have saved the best for last.... last night when Mom and I went to say goodnight, the nurses were doing their nightly care on the babies. The first thing I noticed was that Rylee had an IV in her scalp. I freaked out a little, but the nurse told me they had poked her several times in other places, and she just wouldn't take the IV; so as a last result they put it in their scalp. She did not like that thing being there. She was already reaching for it, and some of you know, she is known for pulling lines out. But she was sound asleep and it didn't really seem to bother her right then. Reid was being fed (by tube) and different lines were being changed. He was WIDE awake. I love seeing those little eyes look at me, even though they can't focus very well. I like to think they see me. I went over to visit with Rylee and the nurse asked me how much of her care I have done. I had no clue what she was talking about. She said "You do know how to change a diaper and check a temperature, don't you?" I told her yes, and she said "Good, you are about to do it to Rylee!" I was so excited... Mom was with Reid, but she came over pretty quick when she heard the news.

The nurse took all the lines and monitors off, except the IV. Since her bed scale doesn't work, she took her out of the incubator and put her on a bed side scale. I got to see my princess without anything except that aweful IV! She is beautiful!!!!!!!! I changed her diaper, took her temp., and back in the incubator she went. These things seem so minor for a regular term pregnancy, but I had no idea when I would get to do those things. It was great.

Sad news is, that for all those things, that was the ONE time I went without my camera. Oh I was SICK over that. Brent wanted me to go back to take a picture of her head, but he was kidding. I'll post pictures tonight.

When I called during the night, we received more great news. Reid is OFF oxygen. He is totally breathing on his own. He didn't have any residual during the night, so that is another good thing. Rylee... my precious, little, ACTIVE Rylee. By midnight she had already pulled the IV out of her head. They put a new IV in her foot, and didn't have any problem getting it in. She is not dumb, she knew there wasn't suppose to be a tube sticking out of her head. Brent's Aunt Kathie says if she keeps pulling things out, they will probably end up restraining her. I'm prepared for that, especially if it means she will leave everything alone. She is already a handful, and has been since she started moving inside me.

I will post tonight, and put pictures, IF the internet is working.
Please continue to keep praying for progress. During one of my many daily prayers, I confessed that I am totally overwhelmed with all our blessings. I changed the devotional calendar in the kitchen yesterday, and the verse was from Jeremiah. This is not exact, but it said something like, "Do you not know that I am the Lord? There is nothing I can not do." WOW! I needed that verse. Pray for Reid's feedings to get better, and for Rylee to leave all the lines alone. I am going to ask you to pray for another baby that is in the NICU, but I can't give his name. The mother and father are staying here with us, and the baby is VERY sick. So far since I have been here, they have called the Chaplin, and yesterday he had emergency surgery AGAIN. It is not a good situation at all, and my heart goes out to that mom. She sits by his bed all day, and cries. It is so hard to see. I'm SO blessed to have heathly babies. We are just waiting on progress.

Hope to post tonight,
Love,
Jessica, Reid, and Rylee

PS- We miss you Daddy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I AM SO SORRY ABOUT THE IV'S. I KNOW YOU WERE UPSET TO SEE THAT AND I AM GLAD THEY WERE ABLE TO PUT IT IN HER FOOT( EVEN THAT HURTS TO SEE IN SUCH A SMALL ONE). I DO PRAY REID WILL IMPROVE DAILY AND THAT RYLEE WILL KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. THEY ARE SO BEAUTIFUL AND PRECIOUS. GOD LOVES YOU AND WE DO TOO. NELMA

Anonymous said...

Jessica! Hey it is Amy, Becky's daughter. Your babies are beautiful and you are too! You look so good! Congrats on your babies, I know you are so excited. My baby will turn 13 this month! tell your mom I said hello. I will put your family in my prayers and I will have my son put ya'll on his prayer list at school. Amy Gonzalez