Saturday, November 15, 2008

18 Days

Rylee having her first bottle Friday.


She didn't mind being burped like Reid.


Daddy and Rylee giving it a try. Daddy did great!

Reid waiting his turn to be fed.

MaeMae holding Reid for the first time.


MaeMae and Rylee.



Sorry that I did not post yesterday. I know how much some of you look forward to the posts. I will update you on that.....

Thursday afternoon my legs started aching, then by that night I was very tired. Yesterday morning (Friday) when I got up I was still exhausted. After breakfast I came back to the room and laid down. I could not get up and get going. Mom knew something was wrong. She went to Walgreens and bought a thermometer. My temperature was 101.9! I am usually under 98. She told me to get up and get dressed, she had already talked to the doctor and knew where to take me. I took a bath, had a good cry b/c I didn't know when I'd get to see the babies next, then got dressed. After waiting for over 1 1/2 hours, I finally saw a doctor. I have mastitis, which is an infection of the breast. It is usually caused by a clogged milk duct and is very painful. The good thing is that we caught it early. They gave me an antibiotic, but it made me VERY sick. I was up again at 4:00 this morning with chills and fever. Brent ran me a warm bath and that helped a lot. By 6:00 this morning it had spread to the other side as well. For some reason, the second side is much more painful. I called our Doctor at home and she called me in a new antibiotic, and it hasn't made me sick yet. Hopefully it will start working pretty quick!

Mom went home yesterday after we found out what was wrong, and that I am still able to see the babies. I am still able to pump and use the milk, which is also a good thing. Brent got here around 4:45 yesterday, which was just in time to help give Rylee her first bottle. That was also my first time to see them yesterday. I felt so guilty not seeing them all day; I don't know how some of these parents go WEEKS without coming to see their babies. I couldn't do it!

Margaret came today and got to hold both of them, and she helped with their feedings tonight. Rylee has taken VERY well to her bottle! Reid still has a little work to do.... he forgets to breathe when he is sucking and swollowing. He will get it before long.

Other than both of them taking a bottle, there really hasn't been a lot of change in the past 2 days. Their feedings stayed the same yesterday, but went up a little over 2 cc's today. They are both taking over 27 cc's every 3 hours. We are almost to a whole ounce!

I am suppose to go home tomorrow for my Benoit Baby Shower. It will depend on how tonight goes, and how I feel in the morning. I really want to go, but I have to take care of myself first. It will be hard leaving the babies for the first time, but Brent is staying for the day.

Prayers: That Reid will start doing better with his bottle, and that Rylee continues to do well. That they both continue to increase on feedings and gain weight. And last, please pray for my infection to heal quickly. It is very painful and uncomfortable. I feel like I am not giving the babies all the time they need, because I am taking it easy for a few days. Also remember to pray for the other babies here.... several major surgeries are coming up this next week. Several moms here at the house are very anxious and need the peace only God can give.

Thank you for your love and prayers,
Brent, Jessica, Reid, and Rylee

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

JESSICA, SO SORRY ABOUT YOU . I HAD THE SAME THING HAPPEN TO ME (MANY YEARS AGO BUT I STILL REMEMBER IT). I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL. IT IS SO EXCITING TO SEE THE BABIES TAKING THEIR MILK. WE PRAISE THE LORD FOR THEIR PROGRESS AND WILL CONTINUE TO PRAY FOR ALL OF YOU. LOVE AND GOD BLESS . NELMA

Anonymous said...

I love those babies even more now that I have seen them.
You take care of yourself and let Brent help you. He's a good Daddy and you are a very devoted mother. You had a great teacher with your Mom.
Thank you for sharing Reid and Rylee with us.
We love you
BB

BJ said...

Jessica, my prayers continue to be with you. I know how you feel about feeling guilty not being able to be with the babies as much as you would like. Fortunately, not too much longer and you will have both of them at home with you all of the time!! (eventually...you will be dying for some alone time ;) I will continue to pray for you and the family.
Love,
Bethany
p.s. Were you able to come up with some ideas for gift cards?

Anonymous said...

Jessica,

Still enjoying the pictures and updates - you all look great and can't wait to see you all in person.

Love and Prayers continue for all of you.

Carolyn P