Monday, December 22, 2008

Eventful Week


Last week was pretty eventful, at least for Reid. Tuesday, Brent and I went out to eat for our 2 year anniversary. We left the babies with Pappie, and Margaret was coming to help her with feedings. On the way home, mom called to see where we were. She then told me that they were a "little concerned" with Reid. While eating, he choked and spit up out of his mouth and nose. When he did this, he lost all color in his face. They called my dad, since he would probably know the most about CPR, and they also called Mrs. Madge (a friend of Margaret's that is a nurse). Mrs. Madge suctioned his mouth and that started bringing his color back. Immediately I start thinking he may be getting RSV, which is very dangerous for preemies. Needless to say, I didn't sleep at all that night.

The next morning (Wednesday) we got up and took him to the Dr. No fever, no congestion in his lungs, just a stuffy nose. He doesn't know to open his mouth and breathe while taking a bottle since his nose is clogged, so that is what caused the choking. All they told us to do is put Saline drops in his nose a few times a day to keep it moist. We are also using a humidifier to moisten the air. That was a week ago, and he is still stuffy. I'm starting to think he has allergies.

Friday we got up and I was going to give them a bath. I bathed Reid and was giving him his bottle, and I started to feel different. All my energy left me, and I started to have chills and aches. I called Brent to come home and feed Rylee, so I could take a bath. I really thought the bath would warm me up and make me feel better. Brent went back to work, and within 2 hours, my temperature went from 98.8 to 103.1! I was freaking out. Everyone was at work, and I couldn't find anyone to keep the kids so I could go to the Dr. Brent's best friends mom, Momma Jane, came and kept them while Brent took me to the Dr. I knew it was Mastitis again, but I always get scared it might be the flu. It was defiantly Mastitis, and it was severe. Both sides were engorged and hot. They gave me a shot and more antibiotics. This was the icing on the cake.... no more pumping! I am starting to feel better, just a little sore from trying to dry up. Pray this process goes quickly.

That is the end of the health events. The babies are doing pretty good with formula. Reid spits up some and gets very gassy, but Rylee has adjusted great. They are growing so fast! It already breaks my heart to watch them grow. I want to freeze time so they will stay this little.

They are sleeping pretty good. We are usually up twice a night, which is not bad at all. I try to feed them at 10:00 PM, then they wake up between 1-2, then again between 5-6. If I were working, I would already be up for the 5-6 feeding, so we would really only get up once a night. We did have a pretty rough night a few nights ago. They were both up screaming for over an hour. It must have been something in the breastmilk, which makes it even easier to stop pumping! It was not a fun night with BOTH of them screaming.

My sister and niece came for the weekend and that was great! Especially since I was sick Friday and Saturday. Friday night my sister got up with them for every feeding. I didn't get up at all, and it was WONDERFUL!!!!! She kept them for a few hours Saturday while I went to Greenville, and when I came home the living room was clean. I told her just to move down here.... she really spoiled us this weekend.

We are getting ready for our first visit from Santa. The kids don't have a clue what is going on, but that's ok; I'm excited enough for them! We will go to Brent's grandmothers on Christmas Eve, then to Pappie's and PawPaw's! Christmas morning, we will get up and do the "Santa" thing, then go to MaeMae's house. For lunch we will go to my Grandma's.

I am already starting to get sad about going back to work. I go back January 5, and I'm not ready!!!! But I don't think I would ever be ready if I had the choice.

We hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas! Our Christmas wish already came true, we are home and healthy.

Love,
Brent, Jessica, Reid and Rylee

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I got my pictures today and they are SO cute.
I am glad you are feeling better and you will certainly have more strength which you will need when you go back to work.
Have a really Merry Christmas. I know you will with those babies.
We love you all.
Barbara