Thursday, October 30, 2008

A Productive Day!

This morning didn't get off to such a great start, but the day got so much better!!! First the doctor came in this morning and told me I was not being discharged today, which turned into good news later. One of the nurses made me get up and weigh, and I have only lost 12 pounds. That was a let down, seeing that the babies were over 6 pounds alone! Then the social worker came in and told us we didn't get into the Ronald McDonald House today, and probably won't tomorrow either. We are second on the list, and one family is leaving tomorrow. We may get lucky and get in over the weekend. We will just have to play that by ear, and take it a day at a time.

Brent and I took is easy this morning, and just hung out in the room until lunch. He caught up on some much needed rest and I just rested. Around noon we went to see the babies. That is when the day TOTALLY changed. When we got in there and they were taking the naval line out of Rylee that is used for lab work instead of poking them all the time. They told us that they were going to try to take her off oxygen totally, which they did around 2:30. You can see all of her beautiful face and head now. She still has a feeding tube in her throat, and IV in her foot, and of course LOTS of monitors.



Then we went to Reid's bed, and received more great news! They took him off the ventilator and put him on nasal oxygen. Boys typically develop a little slower than girls, so Reid is doing things a day or 2 after Rylee. He has developed Jaundice, so he has a bright blue light over his bed. Since the light is so bright, they have to cover his eyes using an eye patch strap. His Daddy calls it his cool sunglasses. I don't like it too much because I can't see his eyes. On a sweet note, we have learned that if he is squirmy or fussy, Brent takes his left foot and rubs the bottom. He immediatly calms down and goes to sleep. So Reid has made progress as well, and maybe we won't have to keep the blue light and "cool sunglasses" very long.

I love seeing Brent bond with these two. This has been a pretty tough week, and I'm sure it is going to get tougher at times, but I have to say my husband has been WONDERFUL through all of this. He was going to leave today just to get out for a while, but when he realized I was having a tough time with emotions, he stuck around all day. He has not left my side, other than to go to the nurse's station or to get me a wheelchair. I have learned so much about him during this time.

Brent's Aunt Kathie comes everyday to visit when she gets off work. Today she brought a special treat for me. She is a nurse, and knows more than enough about taking care of patients. She brought a bag of hair supplies, layed me down on a fold out chair, washed, dried, and fixed my hair. It felt like a day at the spa. It was wonderful!!!!! I needed that little bit of pampering so much.


We just got back from eating at McDonald's (There is a Subway and McDonald's in the hospital) and are probably not very far from bed. We are getting up every three hours so I can pump milk for the babies. I will update tomorrow if there is a change. If you don't hear from us, there has not been enough of a change for me to write about. Like I told mom today, we either want no change or good change right now. However, we are prepared for the fact that things can change at any time.

Please pray that the babies will continue to make such wonderful progress, that we get into the Ronald McDonald House, and that my emotions will level out a little. I'm very anxious over Brent leaving Sunday, but I think Mom is going to come stay with me for a few days. Hopefully these are just emotions and not the beginning of post pardum.

With love,
Brent, Jessica, Reid, and Rylee

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you for the wonderful update, prays are being answered 24/7, we praise God for each one, love to you all and my prayer for you is a good nights rest. love in CHRIST martha

Courtney said...

Your sweet little ones are precious. Thanks for keeping us all updated!

Praying for the 4 of yall-
Courtney Stubbs

Anonymous said...

It was great talking to you! Love the pics!